Shakti is a non partisan women’s collective passionate about female leaders in politics. The long term objective is to enable more women to be elected as MLAs and MPs while being non partisan ourselves.Our ethos is to be inclusive of women from all sections of society interested in political leadership or in furthering other women’s political careers. We are embarking on a very exciting mission, perhaps never done in India before.The first event was held in Goa as a round table of women leaders and set the stage for the formation of the Goa state chapter of Shakti. The first national event was held in Bengaluru on Dec 8th, 2018 as a daylong dialogue with women leaders from political parties, intersectional researchers of gender, women pursuing careers in politics, grass roots activists working with women in local bodies, journalists and others. Actionable resolutions towards the 2019 elections and were formulated as group and the entire audience took a pledge to commit ourselves to this cause.
- Build a non partisan, national movement to demand political power for women.
- Launch Shakti in Delhi by February 2019 and kick start state caucuses.
- Exert public pressure on political parties for 50% tickets to women for 2019 Lok Sabha.
- Promote women candidates during the 2019 Lok Sabha elections.
- Demand passing a Women’s Representation Assurance Policy in the Winter Session of the Lok Sabha (2018), derived from the Women’s Reservation Bill discussions
Everyone committed to the cause of more gender just politics in India is welcome to join this group.